The Government of Rwanda adopted the following guiding principles of the TS:
1. In the interest of national security and reconciliation, the TS targets all ex-combatants irrespective of previous military affiliation;
2. The TS allows ex-combatants to choose their community of settlement and path to economic reintegration;
3. To ensure consistency and fairness, all assistance to ex-combatants will be provided through the TS and supervised by the Rwanda Demobilization and Reintegration Commission (RDRC);
4. Reintegration assistance will seek to foster community participation;
5. The RDRC relies on existing Government structures to the extent possible in order to build sustainable capacities beyond the program’s duration;
6. Pension and social security issues for ex-RDF are addressed outside the RDRP, in accordance with their respective terms and conditions of service.